VCA Welcomes New Board of Directors at Executive Summit
Washington, D.C. (January 30, 2008) – The Vision Council of America (VCA) officially inducted its 2008 officers and board of directors at the VCA Executive Summit held at the Ritz Carlton Golf Resort in Naples, Fla., January 23-25, 2008.
Larry Clarke of Satisloh North America, Inc. remains as chairman and will serve with R. Michael Daley of Essilor Lenses as vice-chair, Raanan Naftalovich of Shamir Insight, Inc. as secretary/treasurer and Andrea Gluck of Eyewear Designs Limited as immediate past chairman. Currently serving on VCA’s board of directors are:
- James Anderson, VCA Legal Counsel
- Martin Bassett, Walman Optical
- David Cole, Transitions
- Pierre Fay, Luxottica Group
- Ed Greene, VCA
- Donald Howard, Kenmark Group
- Fred Howard, Carl Zeiss Vision
- Michael Hundert, REM Eyewear
- Stephen Rappoport, L’Amy
- Richard Russo, Safilo USA
- Gerard Santinelli, Santinelli International
VCA division chairs also serve on the board and include:
- Eyewear and Accessories Division: James Shyer, Zyloware Corporation
- Lens Division: Douglas Hepper, Vision-Ease Lens
- Lens Processing Technology Division: David Beach, National Optronics, Inc.
- Low Vision Division: Geoffrey Moss, Eschenbach Optik of America
- Sunglass and Reader Division: David Bibbey, Zoom Eyeworks
- Better Vision Institute: Elaine Hathaway, M.D., Brunswick Eye Associates
Retiring from VCA's board of directors this year are Al Berg of Marchon Eyewear and Richard Bullwinkle of DAC Vision.
This year’s Executive Summit was attended by more than 180 representatives from VCA member companies. The Summit’s keynote speaker, renowned business strategy expert Jeffrey Rayport, led a session on thinking and executing strategically, followed by a question and answer segment specific to the optical industry. Attendees also heard from Rich Karlgaard, publisher of Forbes, who gave a presentation on U.S. economies and markets and election year facts and forecasts for 2008.
In addition to educational programming and networking events, the Executive Summit provided an opportunity for VCA to carry out member business. Meetings were conducted by VCA’s board of directors, Eyewear and Accessories, Lens and Lens Processing Technology Divisions, as well as Show, Anti-Reflective, Membership Oversight, Marketing Communications, Program and Public Affairs Committees and the Frame Buyer Certificate Task Force.
VCA’s next Executive Summit is scheduled for January 28-30, 2009, at the Rancho Bernardo Inn in San Diego, Calif.