Standards and RegulationsA Leading Voice in Developing and Refining Optical Standards
Working with U.S. and international agencies, The Vision Council and volunteer member experts have produced or contributed to multiple standards and communications to assist the industry in serving the eyeglass wearing public. Traveling the nation and the globe, member interests are managed at many different levels and with various technical groups. Here is the 2011 technical schedule with meetings of interest to members.
Frame Manufacturing Standards and Regulations
Developing standards for lenses is a key component to The Vision Council's technical initiatives. Contributing groups include the Lens Technical Committee, the Data Communication Standard Committee, the Country of Origin for Lenses Committee, and the Lens Description Standard Committee.
- Lens Impact Resistance Guidance (Under Review)*
- Lens Impact Resistance Plan (Under Review)*
- Mass Lens Manufacturers Comments on the 2010 FDA Q&A on Impact
- Lens Description Standard v2.0
- Lens Marking Guideline
- Country of Origin for Lenses Standard
- *New* 2D Barcode Standard for Lenses
Standards for Communication
Necessary to getting the job done, several communication tools and other general standards have been produced to benefit industry and the eyeglass wearing public.
- Prescription Eyeglass tolerance summary for Z80.1
- Job Tray Automation Standard
- Optical Product Code Manager
- Data Communication Standard 3.09 (Updated October 2012)
- Data Communication Standard Simulator Software - Contact The Vision Council via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Various Regulatory Standards (ANSI, ISO) - Contact The Vision Council via email@example.com
- Free Software Tools for Industry:
*Questions or comments, please contact Mike Vitale, Lens Division Liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org.In 2008, the Vision Council of America (VCA) became The Vision Council. Materials and resources predating May, 2008, may refer to VCA, OMA, or other organizations that have become The Vision Council.