Opticianry Summit: Creating a Plan for the Future > Participant Resources
During the Opticianry Summit, presenters will share an overview of various trends they feel will be helpful for participants to be aware of leading into the discussions. The presentation is intended to provoke thought, indicate potential areas for consideration and to stimulate discussion and debate. To view the PPT click here, to view a PDF version for printing, please click here.
Resources from Around the Web
Relevant Data Highlights
- There are 30,000 ABO cetificants and 10,000 NCLE certificants
- In 2011 ABO tested 4,800 individuals and NCLE tested 1,700
General Population Data
- 151.4 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Eyeglasses
- 27.2 million U.S. adults currently use OTC Readers
- 203.3 million U.S adults currently use Plano Sunglasses
- 37.6 million U.S. adults currently use Contact Lenses
- 26.2 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Sunglasses
*Statistics provided by The Vision Council's VisionWatch Report on Vision Correction Usage (December 2011)
Future Demand for Eye Care
- 19.6% of consumers ages 18+ surveyed said they were planning on having an eye exam in the next 3 months. As a comparison, in December of 2010, 18.9% of consumers said they planned on having an eye exam in the next 3 months; so the number is rising.
*Statistics provided by The Vision Council's Consumer Barometer Report (December 2011)