The Vision Council Garners 1.2 Billion Impressions for National Sunglasses Day 2019
Alexandria, VA (July 18, 2019) – The Vision Council is proud to announce another successful celebration of National Sunglasses Day. Due to its efforts, The Vision Council garnered more than 1.2 billion online, social media and broadcast consumer media impressions, surpassing last year's total impression numbers for the commemorative date. Additionally, one of the official campaign hashtags #NationalSunglassesDay was trending on Twitter throughout June 27.
Here's an overview of the consumer media coverage:
- Online placements garnering more than 223 million impressions
- Top online placements include: businessinsider.com, yahoo.com, marketwatch.com, parade.com and golfdigest.com
- Social media placements garnering more than 800 million impressions
- Top social media placements include: The Instagram and Twitter pages of Bethenny Frankel, Kathie Lee Gifford, Ellen DeGeneres, Salma Hayek, InStyle and CBS
- General broadcast placements garnering more than 7.8 million impressions
- Top general broadcast placements include: ESPN, QVC and The Weather Channel
- Media tour placements garnering more than 186 million impressions
- Top media tour broadcast placements include: "Access Hollywood Live," "The Daily Buzz," Yahoo! Entertainment and usmagazine.com
"We're so proud to announce the success of this year's National Sunglasses Day celebration," said Maureen Beddis, The Vision Council's vice president of marketing & communications. "We owe a big thanks to our members and the industry at large for supporting The Vision Council and the campaign through exclusive online sales incentives, offering giveaways, hosting celebrations in honor of the day and more."
National Sunglasses Day takes place annually on June 27, reminding consumers that wearing sunglasses is not only fashionable, but also a health necessity to protect the eyes from long- and short-term damage from the sun's harsh ultraviolet (UV) rays. The campaign has garnered support and promotions from organizations across the eyewear and eyecare industry year after year.
The National Sunglasses Day campaign went viral for the past three years, garnering more than 1 billion print, online, social media and broadcast impressions in 2018, earning it a Gold Bulldog PR Award in the Best Viral Campaign category. In addition to industry-wide backing, the campaign saw support from top tier outlets as well as posts on the Instagram and Twitter pages of well-known celebrities.
About The Vision Council
Championing better vision for better lives, The Vision Council positions its members for success by promoting growth in the vision care industry through education, advocacy, research, consumer outreach, strategic relationship building and industry forums. By sharing the latest in eyewear trends, advances in technology and advice from eyewear experts, The Vision Council serves as a resource to the public looking to learn more about options in eyeglasses and sunglasses.